The sighting of a killer whale (or orca) can be rare, but they do love to hunt and play in the waters between Vancouver and Seattle, so one of the activities we absolutely wanted to do (in addition to the harbour seaplane flight) was to go whale watching.
Just South of Vancouver, in the quaint Historic fishing village of Steveston we hopped aboard our boat, and spent the day on the water cruising the coast looking for whales, other marine mammals and seabirds. The regular chug-chug-chug of the boat motor for a couple of hours lulled me into a meditate state as we sped our way over the State line from Vancouver, back down to the waters of Washington State.
Enroute to the late afternoon wedding, we decided to slip in a visit for brunch at the Four Seasons Hotel. With so many people and reviews putting it at the top of the best brunches in Vancouver, we had to check YEW Seafood + Bar out – I mean you can take the blogger out of London, but you’ll never quite pry the brunch crown from her tresses.
The Four Seasons Hotel decided to pay an ode to the glorious landscape just outside their Vancouver doors, and decorated in only what I can describe as wild corporate luxury. Kind of like Wolf meets Wallstreet, with a side of maple syrup. It is beautiful.
Staying in our apartment on the North Shore of Vancouver, we were tucked into a sleepy, suburban idyll where once off the busy highway, kids played ball games in the street and cats strolled around their own home territories without a care in the world. It is also home to the famous Capilano Suspension Bridge, but warned that the crowds in mid-August would be overwhelming, we were given the tipoff that the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and the surrounding park is a lovely place to while away an afternoon.
Smaller, free and with loads of walks and picnic areas, I sent my intrepid husband ahead to brave the canyon bridge whilst I sipped a much-needed coffee in the local cafe.
The wildfire smoke cleared on the morning of our family wedding, just in time for the bride and groom to say their vows overlooking coal harbour. We took this as a sign that we needed to book our Vancouver seaplane flight, to really explore the azure harbour waters and take in an eagle-eyed view of this city.
I suppose it was ok… oh, who am I kidding, the harbour is spectacular. Let me also point out that none of these images are touched by editing. Like 99% of my images in this blog (the other 1% is cropping and making slight adjustments), these are entirely un-doctored.
Move over Route 66, one of our favourite day trips from Vancouver City (we also managed to fit in wild Killer whale spotting – post to come) was taking the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler.
I tried to summarise all of the things we enjoyed about Vancouver in my ’18 reasons why we fell in love’ post, and failed miserably. There were actually about 26 things listed, not to mention the myriad of minor things like the sound of forest birdsong from our apartment terrace or the laughter at the wedding we attended, but one of our favourite things was the snaking road and stunning vistas along the Sea to Sky highway.